Friday, August 7, 2015

Talking teepees

I love the teepee trend that seems to be in so many nurseries, playrooms, and even living rooms!
They're fun and playful and I wanted to incorporate one in Charlie's playroom but I didn't want to spend a lot of money.
 So with the help of my mom's sewing skills, we were able to make one together for much less. 


Thanks to Pinterest, I stumbled upon this tutorial by Thrifty and Chic which had very clear step by step instructions on how to make a three-sided one out of a twin sheet that I picked up at Home Goods.


We pretty much followed Alicia's directions with exception to the following:

1. We increased the size of the teepee by a few inches in order to make it a little bit wider (not so much taller). If you wanted to make an even bigger one, I would suggest using a full or queen sized flat sheet.


2. Instead of using scrap fabric for the opening, I used this neon yellow pom pom trim that I ordered here


3. I spray painted the PVC pipe white to make it fresher and then used painters tape to just spray paint the ends neon yellow.


4. I added rubber legs tips (not pictured) to keep the teepee from sliding on the hardwood floor.


I'm so happy with how it turned out but most importantly...


...Charlie loves it!


This playroom is almost complete which makes me a little sad because it has been so fun to decorate (see what else I've done here and here)!

Here's all that is left to do:

1. hang the rest of the blinds (we had to modify them a bit which I will share soon)
2. hang this picture ledge that I ordered for books 
3. pick out some kind of corner shelf for toys
4. print and frame some pictures and art
5. either make cushions or have them made for the top of the built-in bench


A big thank you to Lauren of Bless'er House for featuring our master bedroom as a kick-off to her Fave Space Friday series! 

Hope you have a great weekend!
- Caitlin



7 comments:

  1. Wooohoooo! This is awesome! I want one for my classroom! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be so cute, the kids would love it! You should definitely make one. I also love this style: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/106819822388890294/

      Delete
  2. Caitlin looks awesome! Where did u get the roll of paper for the wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! The roll of paper and the shelf above it are Land of Nod. Come in a few different colors too!

      Delete
  3. This is great! My husband knows I want a teepee for our future kids! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! I have wanted a teepee for years, but I have no excuse yet! As soon as I get pregnant ... teepee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way before we had Charlie! Hope you get your teepee soon :)

      Delete

I appreciate all of your comments! If you have a question, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.